On September 6th, we became owners of a 40' Mainship, we named "The Other Woman." Danny along with Bill, a Captain moved the boat from Whitehall, Michigan to Chicago. These pictures are in Whitehall after the name was put on the boat.
In Chicago, Danny met up with Timmy and his friend Jim to move the boat from Chicago through the Chicago, Illinois, Mississippi, Ohio, Cumberland Rivers, and finally Tennessee River to Green Turtle Bay Marina in Grand Rivers, Ky. You can see the boat in downtown Chicago, as they would pass under an Amtrak train track when raised which looks in terrible shape which was built in 1915. Danny spoke about the number of Eagles some with eaglets going down the rivers. The pictures weren't close enough for you to appreciate so I have not included them. Seeing signs for an electric fence to keep the Asian carp out of the middle of the river and your boat was also entertaining. I remember the CBS Sunday morning program about this issue where the fish would jump up into the boats. The arch in St Louis from the Mississippi River was great BUT there is nowhere near the arch to tie up a boat which is hard to believe. Lastly, her current home at Green Turtle. Tim and Jim flew back to Virginia and Danny worked on projects until I got here Tuesday fleeing Hurricane Ian.
We are both working to get things squared away- clothes and "stuff". We each have our assignments to complete before leaving for Italy next Wednesday. Tomorrow we plan to drive to Paducah to get items for the boat and finish our jobs. On our return in November, Danny hired a Captain to work with me for 2 days since he thought listening to someone other than himself would work better for me. Yes, he would be correct about that! Stay tuned...
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
Comments
Popular posts from this blog
The Mighty Mississippi... October 11 - 18, 2023 Danny on the banks of the Mississippi River from both the north and south. The Mississippi River runs 2340 miles from Minneapolis, Minnesota to the Gulf of Mexico. The river starts in Lake Ithaca, Minnesota where you can walk across stones. The Ojibway people named the river meaning big river. From a navigation standpoint, it is broke up into the upper Mississippi (Minnesota to Cairo, Illinois) and lower (Cairo, Illinois to New Orleans, Louisiana ). We will travel the Mississippi until we get to Cairo and turn on to the Ohio River. While the Mississippi River has flooded before, the worst being 1993, the river is exceptionally low this year. Last year was low and this year is worse. According to the data accumulated and released October 16th, the river is...
Anchoring at Jewfish Hole... February 21, 2023 We agreed to leave Marlin Bay a day earlier than planned due to the winds appearing to be a problem if we waited. Our plan was to go part of the way to Key Largo but it would be an anchorage not a marina. Annmarie, a friend we met during our stay in Marlin Bay, took this picture as we left. Danny found several options and we would make the final decision based on where the winds were in the afternoon and later in the evening. We had to go under the Old Seven Mile Bridge and new Seven Mile Bridge, both with a clearance of 19 feet for the boat. So prior to leaving, we took down the radar tower and the 2 antennas. You can see how close we were to the bridge. We were very, very close and being there as we went through appeared even closer! During our travel, we saw the Loggerhead turtle above. I saw it on top of the water and we stayed around as it went down and ultimately came back up again...
Where do we go from Captiva... Marco Island or Everglade City? February 10, 2023 We left at civil twilight from Captiva Island and Tween Water Marina- 6:42am to make the tides work for us. Our decision is to go to Marco Island where we have reservations versus pushing through to Everglades City which is 88 miles. The winds are to pick up this weekend starting later Saturday afternoon and last through very early Monday morning. We decided to see how well we were making with time and make a decision mid morning. We decided to push on to Everglade City. Going down the intracoastal, we saw Sanibel and at its southern tip, Sanibel Lighthouse. By binoculars, it appeared that beach was closed and tall fences were up but the Lighthouse still standing! Danny and I noted some wind picking up even before we got to turned into the Ten Thousand Islands just past Marco Island. There were also signs of "red tide" which is the presence of a special bacter...
Comments
Post a Comment